Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Got Gold?

I ask that question because Gold is in a bull market and my guess is most of you have very little if any exposure to Gold in your portfolios. As for me, guilty as charged. I have some inconsequential positions in Glamis Gold (GLG) and Coeur D'Alene Mines (CDE), but not enough based on the strength of the Gold chart.

Accordingly, today I'm adding some calls in the XAU index (February 130's), based on the same bull market leverage theory espoused in this prior blog. I am also on the prowl for additional stocks with significant leverage should the bull market in Gold accelerate in the months ahead.

Any gold bugs among my readers, please feel free to contribute your favorite names below in the Comments section. Gold may very well be another ticket to ten-bagger paradise.

A

3 comments:

A said...

Ron, So far, so good. How are you tracking winners and returns? From the moment of notification of the buyback, that is public notice, is there a tradable pop in the underlying shares, or is the move up more gradual, or even more market related then news related? Nonetheless, 80% winners averaging 1.7% pops seems tradable to me.

A

ilene said...

Ron, I bought a little tqnt and qlti, both after the open. The reduced earnings isn't helping qlti (do you consider that?) but both are up. Another strategy that's worked for me before is to buy stocks being hit by tax loss selling at the end of this month. However, last year, many stocks kept going down in Jan. - Ilene

ilene said...

It seems to be variable, so you might want to watch the price for signs, but as a guess, about the third week in Dec. for buying, and the last day of Dec. through first week in Jan. for selling -- some stocks may be still selling off at the very end of Dec. and some may be done. Don't hold too long if the market's weak, that's where I messed up last year.